Food is the main resource in the game. Each fellow survivor consumes one food per day.
If you don't have enough food for daily requirement, the event "Starvation" will trigger, leading to fall of happiness and maybe deaths from the first day. If starvation happens frequently, additional survivors may leave your base due to low morale.
You can get food in a lot of ways, including :
- Constant supply by farms and big farms
- Scavenging unreclaimed buildings, see below
- Reclaiming buildings with food still on it (you will only get the half of it)
- Trading unused equipment with Gustav
- Having committed farmers.
- Events like "Good Season" or "fertilizer bonus" after the required food researches at the lab.
- Donations in a random event, either as an act of charity or by new survivors/dogs arriving.
You will lose food by:
- Survivors eating
- The random event "Farm Blight" before researching "preservation".
- Being beaten up by the last judgement gang.
- Food theft by your own survivors if you are low on happiness.
- Gustav's Love Caravan (Only if you decide to use it)
- In scripted events by parties or dia de los muertas (pertaining to the church, not recommended)
- Main article: ScavengingWhen any person scavenges food, they gain 0.5 at scavenging. It helps him to carry more out of scavenging missions and increases the chance of finding equipment. There is a chance you may win +5 happiness by finding a vine cellar in a house, for example.
Hint : You can take 2 food out of "scavenging for scraps"-missions in an unreclaimed square as long as there is still an item left to recover.